When Is The Right Time To
See A Doctor
For Hernia Treatment?
Hernia is a prevalent condition amongst the older sections of society, but it is often left untreated due to the stigma and embarrassment surrounding the disorder.
This can prove extremely harmful to the patient as Hernia cannot treat itself, restrict blood flow to specific body regions, and lead to potentially dangerous conditions.
While some forms of Hernia may be asymptomatic, they can sometimes be extremely painful and must be dealt with immediately before the situation deteriorates. Here’s what you need to look out for a while coping with Hernia
What is Hernia?
Hernia is a condition that arises when an organ pushes through a wall or muscle tissue that holds it in place. There are mainly four types of Hernia – Inguinal Hernia, Femoral Hernia, Umbilical Hernia, and Hiatal Hernia.
Most forms of Hernia usually affect the abdominal and chest area. It is a relatively common disorder seen in men and women almost equally
When to See a Doctor for Hernia Symptoms
- The noticeable bulge at a part of the body, which is maybe painful
- Pain while lifting objects or while lying down
- The increasing size of the bulge over time
- Obstruction in bowel movement
- Symptoms include heartburn, difficulty swallowing, and chest pain.
Should it be treated immediately for Hernia?
As a hernia doesn’t recover independently, it is important to consult the physician at the earliest.
In more severe cases of Hernia- where they may be strangulation – parts of the intestine are cut off from blood supply, and obstruction – where the intestine may get stuck in the inguinal canal, it is crucial to get it treated within hours of identification to prevent tissue death.
In some cases, if it’s not treated immediately- it may lead to inflammation and infection in the region.
In such a case, the doctor might suggest emergency surgery to remove the disruptive parts – open surgery, laparoscopy, or even robotic surgery.
For asymptomatic hernias, your consultant may suggest you take up surgery, depending on your condition, to prevent it from becoming symptomatic later.
Because fiber “greases” your digestive tract, a high-fiber diet leads to optimal digestion. Another advantage is that most high-fiber meals are typically naturally low in fat and help you feel satiated for longer, which encourages you to eat less and maintain a healthy weight.
What you shouldn't do if you are suffering from Hernia
- Avoid heavy lifting activities, as this can further disturb your Hernia.
- Even if you are involved in heavy lifting work, seek proper lifting posture to prevent maximum damage and weight on your abdominal regions.
- Being overweight makes you prone to Hernia and engaging in smoking and drinking.
- Eat foods rich in fibers and roughage to help aid in bowel movement and put a lesser strain on the abdominal regions.
- Avoid lying down immediately after meals, and try to engage in light exercises.
- Avoid consuming spicy foods and foods in large quantities that may trigger indigestion.
On the other hand – foods that are good for those with Hernia are – whole grains, green vegetables, lean meat and protein, and tons of water.
A hernia is one of the most common illnesses of the modern age. As awareness of the disease increases, the number of people seeking treatment also rises. Maintaining a healthy body weight and a healthy lifestyle is key to keeping your condition under control.
For those with a genetic predisposition to this disorder, like if it runs in their family, regular checkups may be recommended. If you get the proper guidance and medical attention, the condition can be managed well, so there is no need to worry.
Don’t hesitate to reach out for help in case of symptoms or discomfort. Consult the right doctor as soon as possible. Book an Appointment with Dr. Vijaykumar for your checkup and best consultation.
Have Any Question?
Are you looking for a Solution for your problem? You can call us or just drop your question here.
Stay Connected with
Dr. Vijaykumar C. Bada
Dr. Vijaykumar C. Bada is the best Gastroenterologist in Hyderabad city of Telangana.
Dr. Vijaykumar C. Gastroenterologist
Copyright © 2021. All rights reserved.